The Open Classroom Library Objective:
“To learn literacy and research skills and explore the world together, as a community.”
To accomplish this we must-
1- Keep the library space and its users safe.
2- Provide a wide variety of quality, up to date, and age appropriate research materials.
3- Provide a diverse selection of fiction materials so that every child can find themselves, their families and their peers represented in ways that are both positive & realistic.
4- Provide materials that encourage more reading and more research as well as creativity, responsibility and independence.
5- Provide opportunities for guided technological exploration and skill building.
6- Schedule time for every class to use the library resources on a regular basis.
Open Hours & Reservations –
Monday 8:40-3:00, Tuesday-Friday 8:40-3:30
The library is reserved alternating Mondays after school for faculty meetings and every Friday at 3:30 for the After Care program.
Steering meets in the library on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30 pm.
Learn more about Steering here- http://ocslc.org/steering-committee
School tours meet in the library throughout the year.
Look here- http://ocslc.org/admissions/ for dates and times.
To reserve the library space, submit a book review or if you have any questions contact one of our librarians at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
or just drop by.
Books for Sale and Donations-
In the hallway just outside of the library you can find used children’s books for sale for only a quarter each and a box for donations. We love donations!
Pre-K and Kinder students are allowed to check out one book at a time for 2 weeks, 1-8 grade students are allowed 2 books.
Parents are welcome to check out books and other materials. We have a fantastic Parent Resource selection.
We do not charge a fine for late books but ask that you return them as soon as possible so that others may enjoy them, too.
Returned books should be fed to Violet, our Book Monster.
Useful online resources. Some sites may require user names and passwords. Check the parent board at school or ask a librarian.
- Salt Lake City Public Library http://www.slcpl.org/
- Murray City Public Library http://www.murraylibrary.org/
- Davis County Library http://www1.daviscountyutah.gov/library
- Salt Lake County Library System http://www.slcolibrary.org/
- Pioneer UEN Library http://pioneer.uen.org/k12/
- World Book Encyclopedia Online http://www.worldbook.com/
- Dewy Decimal Classifications http://www.library.illinois.edu/ugl/about/dewey.html
- Neil Gaiman- Why our Future Depends on Libraries, Reading and Daydreaming http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/15/neil-gaiman-future-libraries-reading-daydreaming
- Scholastic Book Wizard http://www.scholastic.com/bookwizard/
- Library of Congress https://www.loc.gov/
- Smithsonian Institute http://www.si.edu/
200-299 Religion and Mythology
300-399 Social Sciences
- Utah Cultural Celebrations Center http://www.culturalcelebration.org/
- Utah Cultural Alliance http://utahculturalalliance.org/
- TEDEd: Lessons Worth Sharing http://ed.ted.com/
- Spelling City https://www.spellingcity.com/
- Perdue Online Writing Lab https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/
- SLCC Community Writing Center http://www.slcc.edu/cwc/
- Wordle http://www.wordle.net/
- 826 National http://826national.org/
500-599 Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- Bug Guide http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740
- Astronomy Picture of the Day http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
- Live animal webcams http://explore.org/
- The Kid Should See This http://thekidshouldseethis.com/
- Reflex Math https://www.reflexmath.com/
- Bedtime Math http://bedtimemath.org/
- Wunderground http://www.wunderground.com/
- Clark Planetarium http://clarkplanetarium.org/
- Windows to the Universe http://www.windows2universe.org/
- NHMU https://nhmu.utah.edu/
- JPL/NASA http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/
600-699 Applied Sciences
- Scratch Programming https://scratch.mit.edu/
- Discovery Gateway http://www.discoverygateway.org/
- The Leonardo http://www.theleonardo.org/
- USU Garden Almanac http://usubotanicalcenter.org/htm/gardeners-almanac
- Red Butte Gardens http://www.redbuttegarden.org/
- BrainPop https://www.brainpop.com/
- Exploratorium http://www.exploratorium.edu/
700-799 The Arts
- Utah Arts Alliance http://utaharts.org/
- Utah Dept. of Heritage and Arts http://heritage.utah.gov/
- Utah Museum of Fine Arts http://umfa.utah.edu/
- Utah Museum of Contemporary Art http://www.utahmoca.org/
- The Louvre http://www.louvre.fr/en
- NY Philharmonic Kid Zone http://www.nyphilkids.org/games/main.phtml?
- Utah Symphony http://www.utahsymphony.org/
- Tanner Dance http://www.tannerdance.utah.edu/
- Tumbleweeds Film Fest http://www.utahfilmcenter.org/twds2015/
- Librivox https://librivox.org/
- Teenreads http://www.teenreads.com/
- Storyline Online http://www.storylineonline.net/
900-999 Geography and History
- Kid’s Web Japan http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/
- Geoguessr- Google Earth game https://www.geoguessr.com/#more-maps
- Black Lodge Singers Kid’s Songs http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/07/05/spongebob-8-songs-black-lodge-singers-will-make-you-smile-150298
- Gettyready http://gettyready.org/
- BBC History for Kids http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/forkids/